Child | Y1
Class Teacher: Mrs Kaszycka
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Challis
About Lauren Child
Lauren Child MBE (born 1965) is an English writer and illustrator. She is best known for the Charlie and Lola picture books and the Clarice Bean series of picture books and novels. She wrote the series of Ruby Redfort.
Lauren Child introduced Charlie and Lola in 2000 with I Will Not Ever Never Eat A Tomato and won the annual Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association for the year’s most “distinguished illustration in a book for children”. For the 50th anniversary of the Medal (1955–2005), a panel named it one of the top ten winning works, which composed the ballot for a public election of the nation’s favourite. It finished third in the public vote from that shortlist.
Hello and welcome to Child class. Our class is named after Lauren Child who is an English writer and illustrator. She is best known for the Charlie and Lola picture books.
We have already read some of the Charlie and Lola stories. Over the year we will be discovering even more of her books as we LOVE learning.
Have a look at the picture and see our lovely Charlie and Lola puppets that we have made!
Within our class we also have groups for your children. The names of the groups are the characters from Charlie and Lola books: Charlie, Lola, Lotta, Marv and Sizzle. As the year progresses your child will also be put into special maths and RWI groups.
This year the children will be learning about ‘Ubuntu’. We will be also finding out about fun and exciting things including topics such as: ‘The Enchanted Woodland’, ‘Dinosaur Planet’, ‘Paws, Claws and Whiskers’, ‘Moon Zoom!’, ‘Superheroes’ and ‘Rio de Vida’.
In our class, we have some great strategies in helping the children show positive behaviour such as Dojo points which is a whole school reward system, where the class teacher and teachers of other classes can reward your child for positive behaviour. We also follow the ‘Good to be Green’ philosophy and want to be on green at the end of each day. In addition, we use class table points, where we have to work together in our table groups, to earn points. Each Friday the table with the most points gets a trophy.
- Homework is given out on Wednesdays to be returned on Monday for marking.
- Reading books will be changed once a week on a Monday, when your child will be given 2 books to share across the week. The books will be changed only if they are read and recorded in the Reading Record book.
- If you would like to practise reading with your child at home consider downloading our award winning phonics eBook. We would like the children to read as many books in Year 1 as possible. This can be any form of reading: comics, stories, fairy tales or online books on www.oxfordowl.co.uk
- Please ensure that every item of your children’s clothing and book bag are clearly labelled with their name.
- If your child wears earrings, can they please be removed or covered with tape for our P.E lessons on Tuesday and Thursday.
Have a lovely time in Year 1!
Mrs Kaszycka and Miss Challis