Ahlberg | Y1
Class Teacher: Miss Payne
Unqualified Teacher: Mrs Connelly
About Allan Ahlberg
Allan Ahlberg, a former teacher, postman, plumber’s mate and grave digger, is in the super-league of children’s writers. He has published over 100 children’s books and, with his late wife Janet, created such award winning picture books as EACH PEACH PEAR PLUM and THE JOLLY POSTMAN – both winners of the Kate Greenaway Medal. He has also written prize-winning poetry and fiction and lives in Sussex.
Welcome to Ahlberg class! We are named after Allan Ahlberg who has written lots of wonderful books including Burglar Bill, Funny Bones, and The Jolly Postman. We have looked at a few of his books already and can’t wait to read more!
In our classroom the tables each have a different coloured pencil tray. Sometimes children will be able to choose where they sit and sometimes they will sit in colour groups (orange, green, yellow, blue and red).
We will be learning about all kinds of exciting topics this year including dinosaurs, animals, woodland areas, space and superheroes!
To ensure a smooth transition, for the first term our afternoons will allow children the opportunity to learn through play as they adapt to the changes in Year 1. As the year progresses and the children settle there will be less play based learning and more structured lessons.
- Homework is given out on Fridays to be returned by the following Wednesday for marking.
- Reading books will be changed once a week on a Monday, when your child will be given 2 books to share across the week. The books will be changed only if they are read and recorded in the Reading Record book.
- We would like the children to read as many books in Year 1 as possible and we would encourage you to enjoy reading with your child at home. This can be any form of reading: comics, stories, fact books or even online books at http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk!
- For extra phonics practice, try our very own eBook HERE (you will need an iPad to access this)
- Please ensure that every item of your child’s clothing and their book bag are clearly labelled with their name.
- PE lessons will be on Tuesdays and Fridays, so please make sure your child has their full PE kit in school on these days. If your child wears earrings, we ask that these are removed or covered with tape for these lessons.
Have a lovely time in Year 1!
Miss Payne and Miss Connelly